Provide the leadership, expertise and coordination necessary to strengthen legislative and regulatory relations for its members; to focus resources on communications and public information regarding the vital role of rural electric cooperatives in enhancing the quality of life of all Montanans; and to coordinate strong safety, director, and employee training programs on issues of current concern to MECA member systems.MECA is a not-for-profit, statewide trade association representing 24 consumer-owned electric distribution cooperatives and three generation and transmission cooperatives serving more than 250,000 people across Montana and in the Dakotas, Wyoming and Idaho. Our cooperatives’ service areas cover all 56 Montana counties. Each cooperative is customer-owned, locally controlled and not-for-profit. MECA (also commonly referred to as Statewide), is headquartered in Great Falls, Montana along the banks of the Missouri River. Formed by electric cooperatives in 1940, MECA performs many vital functions for its members. Including:
- Legislative representation at the state and national levels.
- Safety and loss control training and demonstrations for cooperatives’ employees and directors.
- The award winning Rural Montana, a monthly magazine on topics of interest to cooperative customers.
- Education and training programs and tours to Washington, D.C.
- Administrative oversight for the self-insured workers’ compensation pool of 50 Montana telephone and electric cooperatives and subsidiaries.